Sunday, May 14, 2017

These people. I love them. May 1, 2017

So I put away my english scriptures this week-only studying in Albanian now!

So in the olden days of missionaries they had counsel to not take anything with them and just rely on the hospitality of the people. I definitely think we could do that here. We went tracting and before we even explained who we were, the mom is like well are you coming inside? oh ok, yes yes thanks. Then after we shared the message of the restoration of the church with them, the dad was like well are you going to stay here? have you eaten dinner? These people. I love them. This culture really gives me life goals of how to be a hospitable human being.

Ah patience. I thought I had it down...that was at the beginning of the transfer to Gjakova. Clearly there is a difference between patience with people on week 1 versus patience with the same people on week (well idk maybe like 13). As a missionary I always think ok well we are representing Jesus Christ as His missionaries, which means I have to try to emulate His characteristics...and then I lose my patience...then I lose charity...and after it all well I'm becoming a worse human being than as I started.

27 And why should I yield to sin, because of my flesh? Yea, why should I give way to temptations, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul? Why am I angry because of mine enemy?

28 Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.

29 Do not anger again because of mine enemies. Do not slacken my strength because of mine afflictions.

34 O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh. Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm.

Same Nephi Same. Feeling like an awful human BUT hey trusting that I can become better as I rely on the Lord. 

Xhavit and Xhev are the cutest little couple that we are teaching. They are hilarious together. And then they'll like interrupt each other and Xhev said oh rri qetë njëherë-oh be quiet for once. oh snap. and then he tells us that when she has a stick in her hand, he agrees with her.

Stories from Xhavit:
1. a man was given a choice between a. drinking a gallon of alcohol and b. killing his mother. He chose the alcohol. Then he got drunk, went home, and killed his mother.
2. A man was put on death row and given one last request. He asked for his mother. (I thought it was all cute..until..) He tells his mother that it's her fault that he is there. That she has as much blame as he does. Because when he was little and stole things, she did nothing, it's ok. When he hit other children, it's ok. Just kids. But now he is here because she never told him anything he was doing was wrong. Whatever guiltiness (is that not the right word?) he has, she has double.
Wow pretty harsh. Anyway lessons with them are always interesting. We also learn cool albanian sayings from him.
1.       Miku i mirë njihet në një kohë të vështirë [A good friend is known in a difficult time]
2.       (From a member this week Vlora, translated cuz I can’t remember how it goes exactly) Don’t stick your nose in hot peppers because you’ll get burned
3.       Guri i rënd peshon në vendin e vetë [Heavy rock weighs in his own place]
4.       Një Zot kemi, Shqiptarë jemi [We have one God, we are Albanians]

Mother Teresa, Prishtina, Kosovo

No comments:

Post a Comment