Sunday, August 6, 2017

To the Friends of the Church 17 July 2017

Last Day with Motra Olsen




Transfers. Staying in Tirana with Sister Godfrey. Sister Olsen is going to Macedonia. woah. It'll be sad to see her go. These 6 weeks flew! Here's a thing I learned from Motra Olsen:

Romans 1:15-16

15 So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

WE are here, not because we are American tourists, we are not here to teach english (although we do it as a service), we are not here to work (we actually don't get paid), we aren't here to "add people to our church group", WE are here to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ because WE know that the gospel, or teachings, of Jesus Christ is the only way that we can bring salvation to those that accept it. A lot of people don't understand who we are, why we are here, and what we do. 

This is a talk from the last general conference directed to the Friends of the Church written by a convert to the church 

"When I first met with the missionaries, I did not understand much of what they said, and to tell you the truth, I may not have paid much attention to them. My heart was closed to a new religion. I wanted only to prove they were wrong and to gain time to convince Renee to marry me anyway.

Today my children have served and are serving missions, and I understand the sacrifices that these young men and young women make to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ. Now I wish I had paid more attention to Elder Richardson, Elder Farrell, and Elder Hyland, the wonderful missionaries who taught me.

So, from my first lesson, I say to you friends and investigators of the Church:once you meet the missionaries, please take them seriously; they are giving up important years of their lives just for you."

I know that if people take this seriously, they seriously ask God if what we are sharing is true, then they will receive an answer from God. The gospel can only change lives that are willing to be changed. I have let it change me. I'm really happy. I love my life. I love my eternal family :) 

Motra Hegërd

No comments:

Post a Comment